Friday, October 14, 2011

Torrential Downpour

Thursday night on the way home it pored. We got detained while retrieving the rent check. I will not expound on our renters because that should/could be a blog all by itself. While on the way home from the METRO station it started raining, really raining. I couldn’t see the road in front of me, the lightning was blinding, the thunder was loud and sustained.

The rain water was deep on the top of the hills, the wipers couldn’t work fast enough. It was technically still daylight, but I couldn’t see much past the end of the hood. It was like bulldozing a pond most of the way home; it felt like the car was skipping all the way home. If a tree had fallen across the roadway, I would not have seen it, surely. It has been years since I've been driving in such heavy rain.

The boys were dry, too, still hanging out in the shed when we arrived. The parking lot had pooling water, I got soaked running from the car to the side door. The rain water was flowing across the patio pavers; the stairwell sump pump was working like a champ. The gutters were clogged, water was coming down the basement wall from the window. Lightning was fierce. Tom cleaned up the water with the wet-vac, then climbed up the ladder to get the leaves out of the gutter.

Eventually the heavy downpour subsided, the breeze picked up. Barely sprinkling when I went to the barn with their dinner. The Moon came up and the stars came out. It was still lightning when I went back out at 10:00 p.m. to give them more hay, but they all spent the night outside, warm and mild.

No comments:

Post a Comment