Monday, October 10, 2011

Birthday, Surprise!


What a wild, crazy weekend. So many things planned, so many things got done. And the weather was stellar, for a change.

My Aunt Pat got to the farm late in the afternoon. I fed everybody, and us, too, and she said there was a phone message from my nephew. While I was outside he called again, again I missed the call. We had a relaxing evening, watching "Love Affair " from 1939 with Irene Dunn. I love her but the remake with Cary Grant, "An Affair To Remember" is better, in my opinion.

Saturday morning we ended up getting a late start. I loaded Braum's cell number into my phone, we headed out to the BIG TOWN for breakfast, the promised haircut, and finalizing the window treatment order.

Earlier in the morning I had tried, over and over, to load pics, but it wouldn't work, over and over. On the way to the BIG TOWN I tried to call Braum, and learned that my cell service had been cut off because I hadn't paid the current charges. This also meant that the navigator did not operate, or google searches. Tom didn't bring his phone. O boy.

We had a delightful breakfast at the "Double T" Diner, followed up with placing the order for window coverings, and then a nice haircut. I sure was in dire need of a haircut. We're all better now.

Lewis, our farrier, was due out between 10:30 and 11. When we got home there were two vehicles in our parking lot. I thought Tom was going to lose it, and Aunt Pat kept asking who that was. It was David and Braum. The farrier had been and gone.

What an awesome surprise it was to see Braum and David. A spontaneous visit is always the best, right? Neither knew it was my birthday, but this was the best birthday, ever!

We visited and the boys went down the hill to shoot their guns. Tom proceeded to stain the barn. The day was beautiful and clear. When the guys came back up David pitched in to help Tom stain the barn. He finished the parking lot side of the upper loft. It really is high up there!

We worked until almost dark, I made my birthday dinner, which was excellent. After dinner I started a bonfire, getting rid of lots of tree debris from Hurricanes Irene and Lee. Braum ended up spending the night.

How could the weekend get better? In the morning Tom took us to the diner in Damascus. We had a nice visit, Braum continued on his travels, we resumed staining the barn.

I stained the top side, the mirror of what David had done the day before. I learned from David's mistakes and felt that I made pretty good time, without wearing too much stain. Took me two hours to finish. After lunch I started on the double doors and the remainder of the bottom.

Tom finished the staining project at 8:00 p.m. on Monday night. Finished, completed. What a project, what a beautiful barn.

1 comment: