Thursday, February 11, 2016

Something Lost


If we keep our pride
Though paradise is lost
We will pay the price
But we will not count the cost

Rush - Bravado - Neil Peart

On January 30 our farrier, Sara, came out to do the boys. I had work to do, so I had him keep her company out in the barn. She is a female, recently turned 30. She is uncomfortable coming out alone and dealing with our horses. She does come out on weekends, so it hasn't been a problem. She is an excellent farrier, and hot-shoes the boys. She is pricey.

A while ago she upped the price for shoeing because gasoline was expensive. Since then gas has plummeted, prices that I haven't seen in this country since the 1970s. Her price did not adjust downward. Recently she upped the price $20 more for each horse. She does the Littles, and charges the same price as a full-sized horse. She trims them every other visit.

She's a great farrier, helped get the boys over different issues they've had with their feet. It is a science, and not everyone can do it; it takes education and talent. Back in the day there were NO female farriers.

In the past I had farriers that would catch the boys in the field, shoe them, and put them back out. I would mail them a check. Never saw them, and I liked it that way. I didn't just have a stranger come out; I'd see how they treated the boys and know they could be trusted. I've had some out only one time. Several, actually.

Sara was mentored by a childhood friend and I put serious credence into that, too.

The farm here is covered, mostly, in snow. Everyone is sticking pretty close to the gate and barn. Not much tramping around the place. Over this past weekend, while checking KCs feet, I noticed that the nails in his front left shoe were all out, not missing, but looped over the shoe and holding the shoe on tight. It was like they hadn't been pounded in at all. I know this couldn't be the way that happened, because that's not how you nail a shoe on, but all three nails were out and looped over. The shoe was tight. I let her know Sunday night. I sent her a picture, too.
I don't know how this could happen. On the outside edge of his left hoof. It is a puzzlement.

She wanted to come out on Monday, but I was at work. I was home on Tuesday, because it snowed, but she didn't want to come out because it snowed. I met her Wednesday, finally, after 5:00 p.m. Without further ado she pounded the nails into the shoe and KC was right as rain. Then she asked me for $20. I said no, and if I gave her $20 it would be the last check I'd write her. Is there no guarantee on work done, when it was just done? She said it would have been free is I had been home on Monday. I gave her a hug and she quickly got out of my barn. I know that I upset her, and she left her nippers on the barn aisle floor.

I need a new farrier. One that shows up, treats my horses well, does the Littles but doesn't charge as if they are difficult or full-sized. Plus now we have the Blacks to do. If only we could get a halter on them....
And it's is going to extra-cold from now on until next week, so no riding. Brrrrr

2 comments:

  1. Ain't that the truth! Even the best ones come with some kind of drama.

    ReplyDelete