Monday, January 4, 2016

Frozen

Christmas night we watched 'Frozen' with my sister, her husband, him and my aunt. The three of them had never seen it before and my aunt said she had seen it but kept confusing 'The Princess Bride' with 'Frozen'. I love both those movies.

Today is our anniversary. Twenty-eight years. We got married in a snow storm, and that day government and schools opening was delayed a couple hours. I had taken the day off as a vacation day, anticipating getting married, but he had failed to do that. I had moved the ‘date’ around and maybe he thought I’d do it again? We had to wait for the court house to open because of the snow delay, then rushed to his job to inventory the company’s assets for tax purposes. The proceedings went so quickly I didn't even take my coat off, getting married in my down parka and blue snow boots.

Today it is cold, and by cold I mean freezing. But no snow. The springtime weather of Christmas is gone, replaced by real-feel winter climate. Tonight our game plan was to try to get the Blacks into the barn for their first overnight stay. It is predicted to get down to single digits with a stiff wind.

I got all the electric buckets out of the shed, cleaned out, filled and plugged in. Straightened out the stalls, he put fresh sawdust in there, too.

After feeding everyone we started our ‘Keystone Kops’ version of moving equines. He moved the tractor out of the barn, tied Sprite and Fred to the aisle hay net, then persuaded Beau into Sprite’s stall. He immediately started to panic, ate some of the fresh shavings, but I threw a couple flakes of hay into the stall and he settled down.

Next was Ally, who is very suspicious but doesn’t want to be left out. With a couple laps around the manure spreader parked in the aisle, she found herself in Fred’s stall. She also wanted to panic, but a couple flakes of hay were like a pacifier for her, too.

We left them to ‘rest’ but came out later for a check of the water buckets. For some reason he thought now would be a good time to try to worm them! He did actually succeed with getting the plunger between Beau’s pursed lips, but with Ally it was going to be a no-go. We feel this is HUGE progress.

Cut the lights out and left them for their long winter’s night.

No comments:

Post a Comment