Saturday, March 24, 2012

Rainy Saturday


Another thunderstorm rolled in at 5:30 a.m., I went out because it was so close to when I was going to get up anyway, got them fed and in the barn and promptly went back to bed until 8!

It rained off an on most of the day and they spent most of it outside or in the run-in shed. Well, Skip did, with KC only allowed to get his head in. The temps continue to be so mild and I managed to get myself pretty wet.

Our closest neighbor came over to tell us about the motorcycle crash in front of his house at 1:00 a.m. We didn't hear a thing. I thought I did hear sirens, but didn't wake me fully and the dogs didn't bark.

I believe kids should be able to ride their bikes out in the country, people live out here to allow their kids an active and happy childhood. However, these kids don't seem to have adult supervision.

Starting during the most recent full Moon, I noticed that the kids were running up and down the road - no head lights, no helmets. As the Moon waned, they were still at it, late at night. I know I had a curfew, and these 2-stroke bikes are not quiet. They really jazz the boys up, especially Skip.

On several school nights they are going up and down the power lines at 10:30, 11:00 p.m. No headlights, pitch dark, at high speeds.

Our neighbor said there was a fire truck, two ambulances on the road and cop cars parked in his driveway. Bike parts strew across his yard and his lawn is turfed. He said coins were scattered all over the place. I found a dime and a penny, too.

Can only speculate what happened, but I think they collided head-on or nearly head-on on the road and ended up on his lawn. Some of the bike pieces were very small. Ouch.

He cut a dead tree down, adding to the pile of tree debris in the yard. I got a few texts and a voice mail message from Dean's apprentice, Sarah. She was willing to come out Saturday afternoon to trim the others. I warned her that I had no checks! I had used the last one and didn't realize it was THE LAST ONE in the box. I rarely write checks, most bills are paid electronically.

She was still willing, so while Tom had run to Mt. Airy to get oil filters she stopped by. Everybody was on their best behavior, however, we had sticker shock when she gave me the receipt. She's $15 a piece more per trim than our usual farrier.

She said that KC's hoof wall was in excellent condition, but the sole was soft. She suggested I pour Iodine on his foot, quickly absorbed, which would harden the sole. Eventually I want to get him back to shoes, but this hiatus from shoeing is helping, I think.

Saturday night was really quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment