Tuesday, March 20, 2012

About Last Night

The weather has been delightful around here, warm sunny days, calm starry nights for days and days. It hasn't rained in almost two weeks.

About last night: It started sprinkling around 7:45 p.m., but didn't amount to anything, barely laid down the dust. By 10:00 the bricks were dry. I hayed everyone, took Max out for last call and called it a night.

At 4:45 a.m. April started barking, which got Max awake and barking. Right when we were wondering what that was all about the lightning strike hit the trees down the hill at the creek with a thunderous BOOM. It was truly like a bomb went off, brighter than daylight. At the same time the power went out.

Panic and concern ensued. He volunteered to get the horses into the barn while I held Max down on the bed. I don't know whose task was more difficult. As he opened the kitchen door another lightning strike hit so close the house shook. Yikes!

He wore my rain jacket from Muddy Creek. I highly recommend that jacket! Promise you will not get wet. He said the boys were reluctant to come in, hiding under the trees. He locked the little ones into Fred's stall. Hay flakes all around.

The house gutter was overflowing, hitting the window over my head. Max was alarmed by this, too. So was I, the window well under that would be filling up like an aquarium and leaking into the laundry room, again.

Max needed to go out around 5:30; it was barely raining at that time, still mild. When the alarm went off at 6:01 a.m. I most certainly did not want to get up.

No comments:

Post a Comment