Friday, January 7, 2011

Friday - and Snow

A dusting of snow, really. When I went out at 6:15 it was still dark - all my weekday horse chores are done in the dark! - there was a dusting of snow but the stars were out, no clouds. 'Downtown' Laystonsville got more snow than we did, so it was localized snow bands as predicted.

Continues to be cold, I had the heated buckets on last night, the ground is still hard as a rock and the manure is frozen solid. It will have to warm up to effectively drag the field.

Last night Tom spread the manure; these guys can really process grain and hay! We keep the tractor, with the manure spreader attached, parked in the barn aisle. I can fork waste right into it from the stalls and it keeps it from freezing. The chain mechanism should not be frozen if it will be used. The chain drive is no match for frozen manure. I now know where the term 'hay-burner' comes from. They are machines - munch, munch, munch.

No comments:

Post a Comment