Thursday, August 13, 2015

Twilight Ride - Again!

I was surprised we rode another evening in a row! And I will say that KC was much better behaved, and didn't try to buck like he did on the first ride. And there was all sorts of things going on with the trail clearing equipment we were carrying.

Hubby's goal is to make it to the river. We didn't last night, we didn't tonight. But tonight we concentrated on the front end of the trail. And of course we got lost! right from the beginning we went too far, about 20 feet, and had to come back.

I started out carrying the batter-operated chainsaw. In a small backpack. This didn't work out that well. At the bottom of field #1 it wanted to fall out, so I moved the backpack to the front, hanging off my chest. This didn't work out very well, either. The blade, although sheathed, was going to hit me in the face.

When we got to the little marshy spot on the power lines I let it down on the ground, and the second crossing KC heaved himself over and I would surely have caught that saw blade in my face. He got off and loaded it onto his back, carried it the rest of the way, into the woods.

In the woods, I got off and tried to use the saw, but KC was very attentive and I spent too much time fussing at him and Skip to be effective with sawing downed wood. I finally tied them to a tree and left them on the trail. I tied several hot pink tape ribbons on the trees, too. It probably was a waste of time carrying the saw because I didn't get a chance to use it as much as I would have wanted to.

We really did make some progress, and getting back through the woods in the dark was pretty good. We were able to make good time because all the trees and bushes had been trimmed and the trail was obvious. It's always darker in the woods than in the open field.

The deer were jumping away from us. On the way back I carried the sickle and the folding saw blade. He carried the chain saw across his lap.


We ate dinner at 9:15, feed the horses at 9:30 and got into bed soon after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment