Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Nose Piercing

You can't make this stuff up! File this under "What The Hell Did You Do?!". Or, "How In The Hell Did You Manage To Do That?!".

We had planned to go riding after work, the days are getting shorter, and it has been hot, but Tuesday wasn't supposed to be as hot, but it was. Anyway, it had clouded up, rain was forecasted and I heard thunder, too.

He said it had rained on his way home from the south, but wasn't going to rain here. I had started dinner so it would be ready when we got back at dark. We always eat late, because eating during daylight hours is a waste of the day.

While tacking up at the trailer I noticed that Skip had a 'boogie' in his nose. I thought it looked like a blob of mud, but he would not let me get near his nose. But, he's always like that. Try putting Desitin on nose for sunburn. Or anything with his nose. You can pick his eyes, stroke and brush his forehead, but don't go near his nose. Tom looked at it and said it looked like a nail. A NAIL? WTF!!!
He called the vet, it is now 7:00 p.m. and she asked if he was bleeding. No, he's not. OK, then, how about I come over in the morning? OK. Sent her a picture, above, and she said it didn't look like it had hit any cartilage, urgent but not an emergency. Keep him in overnight. OK, sure. (No, I did not.)

So no riding today, and while I was finishing up dinner, cooking outside with my electric skillet, it started to rain. And it rained, I got wet, had to move my skillet onto the porch, and got wet.

After I fed everyone I put him out in #1 by himself, left the three fatties in the dry paddock overnight.

Cleaned stalls, picked up the dry paddock, then spread manure,in anticipation of the vet's arrival at 11:00 this morning.

If anyone can get into anything, it would be Skip.

The vets were on time, and drugged Skip first thing. While he was sleeping she pulled on the 'head' and it was a hard scab. She was able to turn his nostril inside out and he had a long gash up his nose. It started to bleed. She said that she's been called for 'bloody nose' and it is caused from stubby weed stalks in the field.

He spent some time sleeping in his stall today.

No comments:

Post a Comment