Monday, June 29, 2015

Last Monday In June

After this wet week we needed a drier day to ride. The rivers and creeks were still high and standing water in yards and fields. Since the Saturday before, when we lost power, to this Saturday we've gotten 8 inches of rain - in one week. Barely got the grass cut before the rains came again.

It didn't take long before KC lost a shoe, not even to the first creek crossing. The mud is deep and his feet are atrocious, and the shoe is lost to the ages. The day is beautiful, humidity way down, cool in the shade. There are not too many people out in the park, but it is not deserted.

We run into club friends on the trail on the other side of the South Branch at the confluence. They dare us to cross, and of course we do, because that's the kind of people we are. It is not too deep there anyway, but the water is fast. When we reach them on the other side I tell them this is why people don't like to ride with us. I know KC can swim and I can see the bottom. My toe got wet, and he never did have to swim. We visit with them for a while, catching up on the doings in the park, and then we go our separate ways.

We are headed to the Woodstock Inn, and see friends there, too. Some how it is getting late, and he's in a hurry to leave. He's putting on KC headstall for me, and rush hour traffic is making it difficult for me to cross the road. When I reach him he's putting KC rope halter away, and I climb up on Skip. I'm going to ride Skip back to the trailer! and he gets on KC and off we go.
I'm riding BigRed!

I will admit that I laughed all the way back to the trailer. Skip is so much fun, with his flying lead changes and big canter, like a rocking horse. I hadn't been on him since probably 2010, so this is momentous for me. KC was a good boy for him, although he is gimping a little with losing his shoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment