Sunday, May 18, 2014

Rockburn/Avalon Park

Sunday we started out late to ride, after stopping at the grocery for ready-made sandwiches, didn't get tacked up until noon. It was a gloriously beautiful day at Rockburn Branch Park. There was an archery club in front of the plantation house, and parents and grandparents with kids. Lots of kids. I seriously and sincerely make it a mission to stop for anyone, kids, babies in strollers, new parents, whoever, that want to see the horses.

When I was young, the horsey-set were snooty. Elitist snobs, none would stop and let me see a horse up close. I can't tell you just how many people have told me this is the FIRST TIME they have seen a horse in person (not on TV) or been this close to one. I encourage them to touch KC. He's pretty clean and he likes to stop. Plus, I get to hear all kinds of 'rules' about horses (if you pull their tail they'll kick you; don't walk behind them, stand right in front where they can see you, horses don't bite, etc.).

Ancient history: our church had an annual 'picnic' that included 'pony rides.' It was a fantasy to lead a pony for the rides. The woman that sponsored the rides wouldn't let me do this, said I was too small. Have you ever seen a jockey? After being turned down year after year, I rode my bike to the event and asked again if I could work leading a pony. She said I was too small. I biked home to get my 'pony' and rode back to the picnic. Can't turn me down now, can you?

I worked all day long, Smokey Day taking any and all riders for the two laps that could be bought for a quarter. I still haven't gotten much taller since then, but I was big enough.

I don't want to be like those riders and horsey-people that I encountered when I was a kid. I want to be approachable, introduce people to a real life horse, and maybe plant the seed to look into lessons, or the possibilities that horses can make.

It was a beautiful day and there were bikers all over the place, whizzing by on the trails in Avalon that loop all over this river valley area. We had lunch on the trail, and I didn't want the day to end.
This is the trail head to the Cascade Falls trail - the same trail where the older woman told us we were not allowed to ride. I see a horse on the sign, so that means we can ride it. Just because you've never seen a horse on the trail doesn't mean we are excluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment