Saturday, August 3, 2013

You Say Caterpillars, I Say Worms

The Lilac at the drivway gate has not bloomed in three years. There also is a tree trying to grow in the middle of it. Earlier this year I broke the tree, not an inch in diameter, but didn't actually kill it. Been meaning to remove it, and the Lilac, replace with a Crepe Myrtle or something similar.

One morning noticed that a branch of the tree was completely
defoliated, and that large caterpillars were crawling on it, by evening another whole branch was bare.

Saturday, with rain once again in the forecast, wearing rubber gloves, plucked every single worm from the branches, leaves, and placed in a small dish of soapy water. They did not like that one bit!

After I removed as many as I could find, he cut the sapling out of the Lilac, and I continued to hunt for any stray worms. The remains of the tree are now residing in the burn barrel for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment