Friday, June 29, 2012

The Sound and the Fury

It was a dark and stormy night. Always wanted to open a chapter like that, but will not describe this entry. It was a brief storm, not dark at all. The lightning resembled heat lightning - bright, sustained, only a couple strikes, the sky was illuminated almost the entire time the front blew through. Unfortunately two strikes hit very close to home, knocking out power. I had planned on this five-day break for some time. He ended up taking the days off, too. I had a list of things I wanted to do, some fun, some work. On this Friday evening I wanted to catch up on watching programs on my DVR. I was doing that, too, when the hail started hitting the front windows and door. Sounded like thrown gravel. And the sky was bright, like daylight, not flashing. On-going brightness. He had already gone to bed, was sleeping. I had to wake him up for this. I had just put the boys out, too, having left them in the barn for the evening to rest in front of their fans. Been so bloody hot, record-breaking heat for this date. It was barely sprinkling when I came in to watch TV. Then the hail arrived, the wind picked up, wildly thrashing the trees, driving the rain in all directions, even up. We stood at the back door while the lights started flickering, by 10:30 p.m. all was dark. Except for the sky. I could easily see the hayloft doors open, banging against the barn roof. I could also see tree debris in the little woods, but nothing big. Just sticks. The storm did not last that long, but we got a little over three inches of rain. He went out to check on the boys, resting in the shed like nothing had happened. We had no power. No A/C, no water, no fan, nothing. It's really quiet out here in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment