Saturday, July 26, 2014

Skunk And The Gang

We have an on-going war with the groundhogs and a skunk. The weather has been delightful, from time to time, and we can't leave the windows open because of the skunk.

The groundhogs have made themselves at home, expanding their estates and creating a hazard in the new horse fields. The holes go straight down for about 18 inches or more, posing a serious problem for horses. It is completely legal to kill them, any time, any day of the year, any way.

I prefer the 'bombs' from Southern States Cooperative. One hole has taken twenty-one buckets of dirt and three bombs, but still the hole was re-activated.

One evening, still light out, I took a walk down to the holes to see what the status was, and saw two groundhogs, looking back at me! I called out to him to get the gun. Yea, we're killers.

He shot at one, but missed and the other jumped in a hole. I told him to stand guard so he didn't come back out, I was going to get a bomb and some bucket of dirt and a shovel. As I was walking away I heard another shot.

He claimed he didn't get him, but the next morning there was a dead groundhog, bloated on the ground and several buzzards on the fence solemnly sitting Shiva.

The skunk hole has not been activated since we bombed it, as with the two groundhog holes near it in field #2. It is going to be war on field #3, with three new holes discovered. It's like "Caddy Shack" all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment