Thursday, March 13, 2014

Weather Whip Saw

Yesterday started out with a brilliant red sky sunrise. Ain't no sailor, but can tell you from experience nothing good comes of it.

The daytime temps were close to 70, what a gorgeous day, breezy. Continued like that most all day, with a sprinkle in the afternoon.

While driving home I noticed a strange looking weather situation ahead, looked like a fog bank in the power line path. My brain didn't like to acknowledge what my eyes were seeing.

A half-mile later we turned onto our road and the rain was waiting for us. By the time I got out of the car it was coming in sheets.

I got the little ones into the barn just with my personality, and the boys I coerced from the over hang. I wasn't going to stand at the gate in the pouring rain. They made a mad dash for it and into their stalls. It was still warm. I was soaked through three layers of clothes.

I gave them hay and water, and the sun was so bright beaming into Lil Fred's stall, but I could hear it still raining on the metal roof. I walked outside, under the over hang and there was a well-formed rainbow over the pasture.

Through the night the temperature dropped and the breeze picked up to some serious, house-shaking wind, with branches flying and anything not nailed down was moving. I put their blankets back on them before going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment