Sunday, March 30, 2014

Rain, Sleet, Snow, Rain

This weekend was a wash out. Terrible weather, really.

It rained mostly all day Saturday, but didn't become heavy until late in the day. The boys didn't have their jackets on, it being closer to 60 than 50, but Skip didn't allow KC to be in the run-in shed, both covered in mud. I let them in before it got dark. We did chores around the house, running errands and a dump run. I feel like I've lost five hundred pounds.

He replaced the moulding around the front door, we'll continue to embellish the doorway, but not today.

It rained off and on all night, and by Sunday morning it was coming down pretty good. I left them in all day, checking on them from time-to-time, straightening up their stalls, fresh water and hay.

By Sunday afternoon we had nearly three inches of water in the bucket on the bricks, and it started sleeting. It was pelting the front windows and sounded like machine-gun fire on the metal roof of the barn. Then it started snowing, accumulating anywhere there wasn't standing water. I think they were glad to be inside.

We had errands to run - IN THIS WEATHER! - going to a couple different grocery stores for his mother, then delivery of these groceries. Before we could get going we locked ourselves out of the house and the car. He likes to turn the heat on while the car is parked, plugged into the outlet, because it doesn't use any 'juice.' I picked up the key fob and my house keys and went outside, putting the key fob on the front seat, and the house keys in my purse, which was in the back seat. The car came up to temp and turned itself off.

He had the spare fob in the house and turned the heat back on remotely while in the kitchen, and the car locked itself - at the same time he put the spare fob on the kitchen counter and walked out the door, which was already in the locked position. It was raining, it is cold and sleeting/snowing. Fortunately the shed was unlocked. My spare house key is also locked in the Volt. I suggested he use his 'app' to unlock the door, but he said he had deleted it. I never had one. I also don't have the 800 number, all I have is USRider Insurance, and they would come out to unlock the car. He called "ON STAR" and they unlocked the car for us, took about one minute. I need to get more spare house keys around this place.

It was good to get back home, with sleet and snow accumulated around anything that wasn't standing water. I fed the horses early, closing the Dutch doors. With snow on the ground, it was a chilly night.

No comments:

Post a Comment