Friday, October 11, 2013

Love a Rainy Night

The rain was 'supposed' to fall lightly, off and on. On Wednesday night we put the spreader on the tractor. We enjoyed a lovely, bright sunset. As soon as he got the tractor pulled around and the seed loaded it began to sprinkle.

We believed it would be a good thing to spread grass seed right before the rain. It has been very dry lately, the last time it
rained was a couple Monday's ago. Now I'm afraid it might have rained hard enough to pool the grass into clumps and waves.

It has rained steadily since Wednesday night. I should have brought the boys in, but I did not. It was mild, not windy. Placed flakes of hay in the run-in shed. I added more before going to bed.

It rained all through the night and all day Thursday. When we got home they were at the fence gate, fussing and chasing each other. I wanted to put them into the electric corral. He didn't want the grass trampled. We put them in the corral and they immediately settled down to munch. I left them in there until nearly 9:00 p.m.; it's raining but they are HAPPY - no chasing around, just munching.

I prep the stalls for their overnight stay - water, fresh sawdust. While doing this Sprite rolls in Skip's stall. She is wet, and the shavings stick to her. I put shavings in Fred's stall, she rolls in that, too. He makes dinner (fish, onion rings, brussel sprouts), I leave them out there until nearly 9 - still raining. I bring them in to feed, check on them around 10:15 p.m. - give them more hay, Skip more water, and go to bed at 10:41.

Friday's weather status? Still raining. Sounds like more with the metal barn roof. Skip is covered in sawdust, like a powdered donut.

No comments:

Post a Comment