Saturday, March 23, 2013

Sunny Saturday - Time to Ride!



Saturday dawned clear and cold, windy. We have so much to do in the house, projects, etc., that I didn't expect to ride this weekend. But we did!

We trailered over to Marriottsville, bright sunshine, gusting breeze, but it was fantastic. Hadn't ridden since early January, I wondered if I would remember how, and recovering from my back injury. I packed a long rope (25 foot) and two handi-sticks. Parking at the trail head in Marriottsville would have made it kind of awkward for any ground work or longeing.

While tacking up a car full of folks came over for a visit. The boys were good, friendly, excellent ambassadors for equines.

I walked him over the roadway, stopping traffic, and walked a good long ways down the railroad access path before getting on. I admit to being leery about his behavior, being feral and wild-acting lately. He was a gentleman.

We decided to go the upside of the tracks because more trees are down in the river, crossing at our favorite spots is not like it once was. He stood like a statue while I got on, got settled. Skip spooked at a couple ducks taking flight from the pond, KC had to do that, too, in solidarity.

We stopped a couple times along the way to address some fallen trees. One was particularly hard; the rings said it was 75 years old, but the tree itself was not very big. It was one tough customer, took us almost a half hour, trading back and forth, to get it cut in half. It is still awkward, but not treacherous.

We ran into several hikers, with dogs, but not one single rider or biker on the trail. No trains, either.

When we finally got to Woodstock we realized why we never saw a train. Massive amounts of CSX machinery, personnel, and supplies in the parking lot at the trail head. Also, four horses were tied up at the hitching post.

We had a delightful lunch, the menu has changed!, and enjoyed the eclectic mix of people (bikers, hikers, and horsemen) out for a good meal and a beer.

On the way back we saw a fox on the trail; we did surprise him with the breeze going in the wrong direction for him. He did a neat roll-back and trotted away from us over the rise. We saw a couple hawks, chased a deer out of the tall grass, flocking Robins in the bare trees.

KC really behaved himself, never got strong or pulled his head down, not once. I'm proud of my little man.

Once home I had to get right back out again to pick up feed for the little guys and do some grocery shopping. I picked up things I'll need for Easter, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment