Friday, August 17, 2012

The Horse Fly

Last evening I was out filling the water trough and Skip and KC were standing further down the fence line in front of the run-in shed. It takes a few minutes to fill the trough.

I notice that KC starts stomping, then bucking (I hate when he does that when I'm in the saddle!) and I can actually see the horse fly on his back. This fly is HUGE!

He pivots and runs straight to me! Most people would freak if they saw a crazed horse galloping down the fence line but I knew he needed help from me. If I hadn't been there he would have certainly dropped and rolled. I've had several people tell me that he has done this.

He runs up to me, then jumps sideways. That damn horse fly is still there! I whacked it, too. He fell to the ground but he was only stunned, I stomped on him, a couple, three times. He was HUGE!

I'm honored that KC thinks of me as a safe place to land, literally. I've seen him take a hit for me in the pasture at the boarding barn. Usually he would get himself out of any confrontations, but he does know I'm afraid of horses, basically. I know they move fast, and can be unpredictable (if you aren't paying attention) and potentially dangerous.

KC also was 'imprinted' at birth. He is a real people person, and has not been mistreated a day in his life. He's been known to sulk when he's unhappy or uncomfortable, especially if he believes something can be done about it. He looks to me to provide for him. I am doing my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment