Thursday, February 24, 2011

Tale of Two Horses

Some time ago we purchased two hay nets. These hay nets were highly rated by one of my horsey magazines. We had entertained the notion of putting them in the run-in shed, but instead they languished on the dining room table. For months.

As part of the new and improved horse-keeping strategy, Tom hung the hay nets in the boy's stalls. They clip on with mountaineer hooks and allegedly hold an entire bale of hay.

KC is neat, business-like, when it comes to eating hay. You put a flake under his nose and he stands there until it is gone. Skip, not so much. Skip will throw hay from one end of his stall to the other. He'll paw at it, step all over it. Cleaning up after him is a chore in itself, and takes me considerable time in the morning.

All that has been changed. The paperwork that came with these nets said there would be a 'learning curve' while the horse figured out how to eat hay out of the net. We do have hay nets for the trailers, but these are special.

Tom put hay in the nets, hung them in the stalls, Skip proceeded to pull hay strands out of it like a professional. KC, not so much. He wasted several hours sulking about having this change to his hay delivery. I had to leave the barn, the 'stink-eye' was so severe.

When I returned, KC had not eaten any hay, and was furious with me. Really. Skip had eaten lots of his own hay out of the net. I had to show KC how to pull the dried grass strands out of the net, pulling, pulling clumps. Then I left for the night.

The next morning he had eaten lots of hay! And he was happy, I told him what a good, smart boy he was, and now all is better with him and me. And the stall floors.

No comments:

Post a Comment