Tuesday, February 8, 2011

It's Always About the Weather, Right?


Yesterday it was positively balmy! And we had the boys in their light sheets. Last night a new front blew in; raining by 7:00 p.m., windy by 9:00. We went out after dinner to swap blankets, putting the heavier ones on the boys.

I also took this time to comb out KC and Lil Fred’s manes. They both have long hair and I want to keep it that way. Both don’t like their hair in their eyes. Both appreciate having the forelocks braided up. Look like fancy-pants!

Today dawned clear and bright and windy! So windy, I got more hay in my hair than in the field for the boys. The door was hard to open, the wind was so stiff! The temp wasn’t so high, but the wind chill made a big difference.

Knowing we are going to get more hay this weekend, I was more generous with the hay. Hay keeps them warm, grain does not. The big boys are ‘fat’ enough, I just don’t want them getting a chill or having too much spare time on their hooves – they get into trouble when that happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment