Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Here we go Again!

Tom spent yesterday morning going from Home Depot to Loews, collecting materials for the water and electric supply installation. So much valuable daylight is spent searching these stores, such a terrible time sink. Later in the afternoon he started cleaning and clearing the trench.

When I got home, after feeding and watering the boys, I let the little ones out for exercise and grass. As usual, chasing daylight, I walked down the short hill to pull more sticks and limbs from the area we had been working on. The chain saw was still down there, too. I pulled sticks and logs until it really got too dark to see, bringing Lil Fred with me to the barn. Sprite didn’t want to be left behind, so she was waiting by the gate for me. They are getting with the program. They learn a routine so quickly.

I used the wet-vac to get the loose dirt out of the trench. Don’t want any more dirt falling into it, and it’s about 8 inches wide; getting a shovel into it is nearly impossible. A pick-ax is about thin enough to get in there.

Tom had also gone to the grocery between Big Box stores, so he made PIZZA. He also bought different coffee, so I had that – YUM! I turned the kids out of the barn and wet-vacced until about 9:15. We put the equipment and tools away and straightened out the barn, got hay down from the loft, picked the stalls, filled water buckets.

Tom was afraid the coffee would keep me up. Not a chance. I hayed the horses around 10:00 and was in bed by 10:20 – zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz April woke us up around 4:00 a.m., thunder and rain. Still not cold, I didn’t move the kids back into the barn. At 6:15 I moved the big boys in to feed them, and Lil Fred was wet, so I brought him in, too. Sprite called out so I got her in the barn. All is quiet. So happy to be together, munching hay.

The trench runs from the corner of the house to the corner of the barn. It also intersects with another trench trajectory going to the corner of the pasture. The parking lot is completely torn up, and could be hazardous if you didn’t know where you were walking. Plus the twenty-one fence post holes, it looks like the aftermath of ‘Caddy Shack.’

Being Tuesday, I know that by Friday, if not sooner, the trench will be buttoned up and working. This will make my life easier. When the fence is finished Sprite’s life will be pretty darn perfect. She will be able to have a larger area to run in all the time. Because she doesn’t respect the electric fence, she must be kept in the 10 x 18 run-in all the time. This will come to an end fairly soon. The battery for Lil Fred’s electric fence has died, but he acts like it is still live. He’s a true joy to have around the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment