Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Rainy Night

First night of the season that everyone stayed in. It was raining, and then it was cascading down in sheets.

I had turned all the lights out, we were brushing out teeth, 'fixing' to go to bed. I walked in the bedroom and heard the rain really coming down. I thought I'd check the basement before I took off my boots and jeans.

There was water in the basement. I let him know that and he went out to check the rear gutter. I went out to check the exterior stair well and boy did I get an eye full!

I ran back in to change out of my Ariat boots for my Muck Boots, those being waterproof up to about my knee. I was going to need that.

The sump pump was not activated AND the black tube that goes from the downspout was not attached. The water was gushing out and going down the stairwell, about two feet deep at this point. It was coming under the basement door into the basement.

He got the sump pump going and I got the wet-vac going and stayed up till nearly midnight vacuuming the basement floor. From end to end, sideways and lengthwise. Crap.

And this wasn't even the hurricane! It stopped raining about 11 o'clock, but the water was still on the basement floor. I was soaked clear through my jean jacket and jeans. My clothes were heavy and dripping. Apparently rain water makes my hair curly.

We received over six inches of rain from about 4:30 p.m. to 11:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment