Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Emergency!!

We have a puppy: An out-of-control Muttly Mutt of a puppy. He is now approximately 6 months old. He desperately needs to be neutered. He might not think so, but he does. It's not an option; it's been scheduled but can't get here fast enough. We also have a cat, Irene, who is over two years old but is also not neutered. Coincidentally she will be spayed the exact same day as Max! They’ll be twins! On Wednesday morning, at 5:33 precisely, Irene jumped into the window that is above our headboard. We are sleeping. Max jumps onto the bed to chase her into the window. He uses Tom’s face as part of his launch pad. This is not a good thing. Tom says, “I think he cut my lip.” Famous last words, right? He goes into the bathroom and says, “I’m going to need stitches,” What? “And a wash cloth.” Seriously? So I take the very bad puppy outside, feed the horses, by then he’s got most of the blood cleaned up from the wall, mirror and sink, his clothes on and the wash cloth against his face. I drive to the Emergency Room. He’s processed fairly quickly, we’re both asked if we feel like passing out. Do we look that pale? I text my mom to call me with my cell number – it is 6:45. She calls back fairly quickly. She also asks if I’m going to call his mother. Really? Why? She doesn’t think dogs belong in the house, let alone in the bedroom. We’re not even going there. I drive back home to get the horses out of the barn, back to the hospital where I run into a co-worker in the parking lot. We both say at the same time, “what are you doing here?” It’s 7:30 a.m. In the end he got 4 dissolvable, one stitch to repair the torn muscle, and 18 stitches on the outside. It looks great! We go to the pharmacy to fill the prescription for Penicillin and SPF 60+ and Neosporin Ointment. After he takes a nice nap we go to the grocery to buy foods that are low in salt and easily chewed. He’s to drink everything, including coffee, with a straw.
Monday he’s scheduled to have the stitches out. That’s pretty quick, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment