Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Mid-Week Update


The vet was scheduled to come out Tuesday between 9 and ten. He took off to meet her. Our regular vet is now on maternity leave, substitute vet was there. They are all up-to-date on their vaccines.

On Sunday KC lost a shoe. The Farrier was out later in the day to replace the shoe. He still does lots of horses at the boarding barn where we kept the big boys for years. He filled Tom in with the latest doings there.

The weather continues to be wonderful, for November. Frosty clear nights, Moon waxing, warmish sunny days. Leaves are falling like snow. He took advantage of this stellar weather pattern to administer sealant to the new patio bricks. He chose a matte finish and it looks fantastic. I think the wet-look would make the other bricks look even more shabby.

The nights are consistently frosty. I am making it a habit to go out around 9 or so to put on their heavy coats. Originally Skip protested. He is famous for his deplorable ground manners. I think this was partly the reason he ended up on the slaughter truck to begin with. He has broken halters, lead ropes and cross ties. Once he pulled his headstall so hard the bit ended up halfway up to his ear, the reins in his mouth. I tied him to the gate with a very short lead rope, but he still tried to nip me or cow kick me. Trust me when I say I don't put up with this behavior. I don't entertain bullies and I'm handy with my elbows.

After a couple weeks of this routine he's been pretty good. Last night I did not tie him to anything, he only dipped his head once to nip me, got caught in the chin with my sharp elbow. He stood quietly after that, but when I walked over to get KC's coat Skip ran KC off. Hate when that happens. I did give Skip what-for.

KC always stands quietly for me, he loves his momma! I do think they both like the coats. If they didn't have them on, they would be spending the night inside their stalls.

The stall mats were delivered last week. Did I tell you how heavy these mats are? Dense and gushy, these mats are the greatest. The trick will be to put them in the stalls. Our stalls are not exactly 10 x 12 - they measure smaller because of the triple-thick walls. The mats need to be trimmed to fit. He started on Fred's stall doing the intense cleaning and prep; this morning the stall still was not dry. We'll also need another load of stone dust to bring the levels up to meet the rails. O boy.

Because Lil Fred's stall is now off limits, I have to feed him in the aisle. He has no problem with this, but last evening I left the pasture gate open. When I came out later to turn them all out, Fred was in the big field, living large. He evaded me only a little; he's learned it is futile. In a round-about way he headed to the gate and got himself on the right side of the fence.

This morning he was calling out, lonely in the dry paddock with Sprite still inside.

2 comments:

  1. Skip must have other endearing qualities to have you put up with his temperament??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skip is a conundrum - a very complex individual. He has excellent breeding, was destined to be a show horse but was bought at auction as a 4-year old into George Mason University's Equestrian Team. A resounding failure, he was shipped to the "New Holland," a notorious 'horse meat supplier' and bought off the truck by a horse rescue in PA. He loves the ladies, doesn't suffer know-it-alls, but has a forgiving nature to little kids. Once you've won him over, and have him saddled he is an excellent ride - 'Try' is his middle name, and he doesn't have a buck in him. We are his forever home.

    ReplyDelete