Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Double Fatality



Tom usually puts the kids in the barn while I change my clothes in the evening. Last night he came in and said the big boys were still out because there were two dead birds in the boy's stalls, one in each. He wanted to clean it up first, before letting them in, but wanted me to see it, too.

I hurried out with grain for everybody, but still left the big guys out. Sure enough, both stalls had experienced a feather explosion! The top of the Dutch doors were open all day, we do like to 'air' out the barn and those doors are under the overhang, so no matter the precipitation, those stalls will not get wet.

I'm sure it was the resident Red-tailed Hawk that figured out how to get into the stalls and catch a Sparrow. The Sparrows are now roosting in the barn, feasting on the spilled grain and orchard grass seeds in the hay. The Hawk has to eat, too, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment