Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Tuesday Evening Shenanigans


In the evening I was cleaning KC's stall and heard the window in the wash stall rattling. The windows will rock a little when it is breezy, but it was not that windy at the time. Looking up I can see KC's silhouette in the light from the house. His nose was rubbing the window panes! I walked over, slid the window open and he put his nose in for me to kiss. He's such a lover!

Skip sees KC's head in the window and butts him out, sticking his big head in. I scratched his neck and cheek, and both of them continued to stick their heads in, Skip bullying his turn whenever he wanted. The window is smaller than the others and there are no horse-proof bars on it. His head filled the entire window. What a goofball!

I went out to get the little ones, they were way down the field past the trees. I was looking for Lil Fred because he has grain in his stall. Sprite is on the supermodel diet - air and water!

Lil Fred didn't want to be caught, but he did want in, so we raced up the hill to the gate and Sprite came along with us, at high speed (for her). He went through the gate and into the barn, into his stall. Sprite went into the barn, but missed her stall door. I had the 'handi-stick' at my fingertips, so I grabbed it and pointed with my hand to her doorway. She'd have none of it!

Sprite raced past me, out of the barn and I didn't see if she went right or left and it was dark, I did have my headlight lit. Her eyes were glowing under the awning. She did a lovely roll-back, running around the barn with me in quick pursuit. She is pretty fast but has no stamina. She ducked back into the barn, deja vu' all over again, but this time I got her into the stall after a little two-step in the aisle, around the cart with the manure buckets in it.

The boys were just milling around, not eating grass, not going out into the pasture, pausing by Sprite's stall window and returning to the open window in the wash stall or looking in the Dutch doors while I mucked the stalls.

When I was getting the cart through the gate, KC and Skip wanted to follow me out. This would not have been a good idea, and I had to persuade them to get away from me, the cart and the gate. I dumped the buckets into the empty manure spreader, when I returned to the gate they had moved on.

When I left the barn, they were still milling around, loitering. When I came back about an hour later, they were way down the hill where they like to lie down out of the breeze. Both hurried up to meet me at the gate. They really wanted in even though it was a mild night, for November.

No comments:

Post a Comment