Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Snow Tonight (Pre-View Edition)

Last night we ran errands to get feed and and replacement electric buckets, tonight I went to the grocery store and the gas station. Both places had lines.

Didn't need much at the grocery store, but what I needed I needed. With the impending blizzard, everyone else had the same idea. Tank up, get the gas can filled, and wipe out the bread, milk, eggs, and toilet paper.

While I was throwing hay to the gang, before heading out to the store, it started to snow. Just a little spit and flake. When I left the store, after standing in the check-out line for 20 minutes, the snow was really coming down, it was getting icy and dicey, and sticking to everything.

At home I was able to sweep the snow off the bricks; it has been so cold, continues to be cold, that it sweeps up like flour.

I had been thinking about letting everyone stay out overnight, because the wind is flat and the low is around 25 or so. But I don't want them out in the snow, getting wet. So, once again, they all are in overnight. They've been staying in every single night since Monday night. The Blacks are getting used to being in and being fed in. They expect me to come into their stalls and clean up, replenish the water, put sweet feed in their corner bins and throw hay down. I do this in a methodical way, and they are getting acclimated to my timing and rhythm.

The days are getting longer, but the temperature is getting lower. With the wind chill we've down to single digits overnight and never above freezing during the day.

He wishes we had coats for the Blacks, but getting coats on them would be a dangerous proposition. We'll have to wait until we get the round pen up and training commences.

No comments:

Post a Comment